Life in The Sixth Form (Part 2)


If there was any consolation, going back to St John's at least meant that I could see Tennya more frequently. At that point of time, she was studying at CBN, just 200m north of St John's. As things go, we didn't really go out a lot anyway. A month into Form Six at St John's, she left me. We lasted 6 months.

I'll admit that I am an emotional person, and I would not have any reservations to admit that I do cry, but when we broke up, no tears were shed. It was simple. Its over and no contact was made between both of us for the next 8 months. Still, I was devastated. She was the tiniest consolation I had, and now I had nothing to look forward to at all. Till this day, although I've experienced a few bouts of depression before, I've never felt as depressed as I had felt at that time. Going to sleep was tough. Waking up in the morning seemed a huge task everyday. Even my break-up with Carrie did not have this effect.

Unlike many straight A's students, who took 5 subjects, I opted for 4. The less the better right? I dropped Physics, my weakest subject among the science subjects. However, for the first time, I wasn't looking forward to studies at all. If I said I lost all interest in studying, the truth wouldn't be far from that. Mrs. Lee, my biology and form teacher, who would go on to play a huge role in my life in the sixth form, took me out on a walk one day.

"You're underperforming, you know. Form Six is not like a 100m sprint. It's a marathon. You've got to maintain your focus at a 100% all the time"

Mrs. Lee has a reputation as one of the best biology teachers in KL, and I wouldn't disagree with that. In fact, when I knew she was going to be our biology teacher, I was delighted initially. However, this would be the first of our many conflicts. How could she sense I was underperforming? We hadn't even done our first test or exam, so there wasn't any way she could gauge my performance. I couldn't believe it. During the next 6 months, she would direct every single question in class towards me. It was unbelievable and downright obvious that she's ignoring every other student. I'm sure the others would love to have a go as well right? Why does it have to be me, every single time?

Chemistry was a disgrace. I don't know why, it's as if Chemistry and I were never fated to be together. I remember there was a time, in Form 5, when I stormed out of the lab in the middle of a lesson after a row with the teacher. I hated Chemistry ever since. But this time was worse. The school had appointed a teacher, with no experience and no knowledge about Chemistry, let alone Form Six Chemistry at all. She was a Form 4 Biology teacher for God's sake. What's going on? Her methods were simply abysmal. She can't speak 2 sentences of English, and during every lesson, she would take us to the lab, and play the stupid CD's supplied by the Education Ministry. By far, one of the worse teachers I've ever had.

0 comments: